Lemus Chávez Luis Alberto
Our research focuses on the synthesis and structural study of new transition metal compounds, mainly Cu, Fe, Ru and Zn. Bimetallic complexes are of particular interest, given the electronic communication that may exist between metal centers and their effect on their photophysical properties.
A family of supramolecular polymetallic complexes are helicates, where the folding of the ligands around the metal centers defines a helical axis, giving these molecules an intrinsic chirality. From the structural point of view, the chiral resolution of helicates and the study of racemization mechanisms in enantiomerically pure complexes are topics studied in our research group.
In addition, helicates are able to bind to DNA strands through specific non-covalent interactions, modifying its structure. In this subject, our interest has been to study the effect of the chirality of helicates on molecular recognition processes and enantioselective binding to DNA.
- P. Arce, C. Vera, D. Escudero, J. Guerrero, A. Lappin, A. Oliver, D. Jara, G. Ferraudi, L. Lemus.“Structural diversity in Cu(I) complexes of the PNP ligand: From pincer to binuclear coordination modes and their effects upon the electrochemical and photophysical properties”. Dalton Trans., 2017, 46, 13432-13445.
- A. Romo, D. Abreu, T. de Paulo, M. Carepo, E. Sousa, L. Lemus, C. Aliaga, A. Batista, O. Nascimento, H. Abruña, I. Diógenes. “Hydroxyl Radical Generation and DNA Nuclease Activity: A Mechanistic Study Based on a Surface- Immobilized Copper Thioether Clip-Phen Derivative” Chem. Eur. J., 2016, 22, 1 – 10.
- S. Espinoza, P. Arce, E. San-Martín, L. Lemus, J. Costamagna, L. Farías, M. Rossi, F. Caruso, J. Guerrero.“The Crystal Structure of Mono- and Di-nuclear Copper(I) Complexes with Substituted Triphenylphosphine Ligands”. Polyhedron, 2015, 85, 405–411.
- L. Lemus, J. Guerrero, J. Costamagna, R. Lorca, D. Jara, G. Ferraudi, A. Oliver, G. Lappin. “Resolution and characterization of helicate dimer and trimer complexes of 1,3-bis(9-methyl-1,10- phenanthrolin-2-yl)propane with copper(I)” Dalton Trans., 2013, 42, 11426-11435.
- L. Lemus, G. Ferraudi, A. Graham Lappin. “A single- and double-flash flash photolysis study of the sequential biphotonic photoprocesses of Cu(I) phenanthrolines. Comparison of the helicate complex, [Cu2(1,3-bis(9-methyl-1,10-phenanthrolin-2-yl)- propane)2]2+, and [Cu(2,9-dimethyl-1,10- phenanthroline)2]+ photoprocesses” Dalton Trans. 2013, 42, 8637-8643.
- M. Escobar, D. Jara, R. Tapia, L. Lemus, R. Fröhlich, J. Guerrero, R. Rojas “Copper(I) complexes bases on a new indazol-4,7-dione ligand” Polyhedron, 2013, 62, 66-74.
- D. Jara, L. Lemus, L. Farías, E. Freire, R. Baggio, J. Guerrero. “Spectroscopic Evidence in Solid and Solution of a Discrete Copper(I) Tetrahedral Complex Dimer Supported by Supramolecular Interactions”. Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 2012, 1579-1583.
- L. Lemus, J. Guerrero, J. Costamagna, G. Estiú, G. Ferraudi, A. Graham Lappin, A. Oliver and B. C. Noll. “Unfolding of the [Cu2(1,3-bis(9-methyl-1,10-phenanthrolin-2-yl)propane)2]2+ Helicate. Coupling of the Chlorocarbon Dehalogenation to the Unfolding Process” Inorg. Chem. 2010, 49 (9), 4023–4035.
- J. Guerrero, L. Cortez, L. Lemus, L. Farías, J. Costamagna, C. Pettinari, M. Rossi, F. Caruso. “Spectroscopic and electrochemical properties of heteroleptic cationic copper complexes bis-(diphenylphosphino)alkane-(2,2′-biquinoline)copper(I). Crystal structure of bis(diphenylphosphino)ethane-(2,2′-biquinoline)copper(I) perchlorate”. Inorg. Chim. Acta, 2010, 363 (14), 3809-3816.
- J. Guerrero, L. Farías, L. Lemus, A. Quintanilla, A. Mena, L. Cortez, R. Baggio, M. Garland “The new Ru(NBD)Cl2(substituted-2,2′-biquinoline) complexes. Synthesis and characterization”. Polyhedron, 2006, 25, 9–16.
“Helicates as DNA Binders”. Fondecyt de Iniciación en Investigación 11130172.